Cryptic Studios’ Neverwinter is a game that kind of snuck up on me. I’m not a huge D&D aficionado and don’t follow or know the lore all that well, and I didn’t spend much time in Dungeons & Dragons Online. But Neverwinter is actually a pretty solid free-to-play experience that I’ve been quite enjoying over the last week or so.
- It’s technically in “Open Beta” but characters won’t be wiped and they’re accepting real money transactions so nothing will be deleted. Basically it’s a way to have a “get out of jail free card” but essentially the game has launched.
- Appears to be PC only.
- More of an MMO than Dungeons & Dragons Online but instead feels more similar to a game like Diablo 3 than it does to a traditional MMO.
- Plenty of things to do in this game! Max level is 60, there is PvP, player made dungeons, questing, skirmishes (5 person adventures), tradeskills (including an offline version), gear treadmills, etc.
- Speaking of player made dungeons, one of the neatest features of Neverwinter is the Foundry, where players can make awesome scripted dungeons for each other. So far I’ve played a few and the writing and lore were surprisingly well-developed. Seems like it will unlock a lot of creativity and replayability in the game.
- There is a boob slider. =( On the plus side, at level 15 on my Halfling Devoted Cleric, I haven’t been given a single piece of armor that shows any of my skin. She is shown above in the top picture sporting her fauxhawk.
- The game is free! There are some complaints about it being “pay to win” but that doesn’t really bother or affect me and my mostly solo playstyle. I haven’t felt too compelled to pay yet, and I’m getting a ton of value out of this game for free. Your mileage may vary here.
I have a 43 minute recording of myself playing and talking quite a bit about the game in case you want to check it out here.
Anyone else playing? I’m curious to hear some thoughts from our readers. Discuss below.