Assassin’s Creed III Open Thread

The Assassins Creed III Liberation logo; it shows concept art of Aveline, an African American woman in Assassin gear, looking straight ahead, with the title of the game superimposed on top.

Assassin’s Creed III and Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation both released today for consoles in North America, and will launch tomorrow in Europe. These games are notable since they are major titles starring Native American and African American heroes, respectively, something that is still shamefully rare in the game industry.

Is anyone playing either of these games? I know the marketing for the main game in particular has put some people off with its jingoism; Stephen Totilo at Kotaku seems to think the actual game is more complex than that, but if you’re playing it, what do you think? Is Aveline an interesting character? How is the issue of slavery handled in the games? Discuss!

About Alex

Alex posts some of her sewing projects and cosplays on her Tumblr; you can also find her babbling about sewing and games and Parks and Recreation on Twitter.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Assassin’s Creed III Open Thread

1. petfish says:

Is it me or is Desmond Miles suddenly and unaccountably whiter? This is the same tv I played all of the other AC games on and suddenly he is paler, his nose is different and his face is narrower. He looks less like someone of mediterranean/Middle Eastern descent in this game.

• BlueHg says:

I don’t think that’s really the fault of the art direction. The main reason Desmond looks different is because face mapping technology keeps improving from game to game. Desmond’s face is based off of Fransisco Randez, a French-Canadian model of Spanish descent:

That said, Desmond and his ancestors have kind of always fallen into the ‘ambiguously brown’ camp for me, and I think he still looks relatively ethnically ambiguous. His father looks quite non-caucasian as well, imho.

• Alex says:

Oh wow, he looks just like him!

I think Desmond’s nose is a little bigger this time around (looking more like Mr Randez in the process), but I don’t think he looks more white. And I’m a bit wary of saying he doesn’t look like he could be of Middle Eastern descent; there’s no one way that Middle Eastern people look…

2. KA101 says:

Well, I haven’t got a PSP or PS3 so…that lets me out.

But as images of women go, that one seems pretty good at avoiding the male gaze. Aveline looks confident, reasonably practically-dressed, directly at the viewer, and generally like a character I’d be proud to play as. Here’s hoping the game lives up to its logo.

3. gunthera1 says:

I just started Liberation (I got the Vita bundle with the game) and I am fascinated by the idea of the Personas.

4. Eric says:

Kotaku Australia review of Liberation sounds really neat: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/10/assassins-creed-iii-liberation-the-kotaku-review/

Watching walk throughs of it since I’m never going to buy a Vita :(

5. Canisa says:

I’m still kinda pissed off at the whole “It wouldn’t be realistic to have a female protagonist in an AC game” bullshit, shortly followed by them actually having a female protagonist, but shoved onto an unpopular platform.

Other than that; it’s nice to see some more PoC characters in games.

6. Twyst says:

I bought a Vita for this game, after saving for a few months. I havent gotten to play much yet, but i am very excited. Hooking up my Sony account is a bit of a challenge (accidentally made a sub account… now deciding if i start over and lose all my trophies or remain limited).

7. Shannon says:

I was… going to buy a Vita to play liberation until I saw the “4 breasted woman” advertisement.

I’ll guess I’ll wipe my tears with my money and donate it to a company that cares about equality.

• Jellyfish says:

>_< Ohhh this is the first I've heard of this. I looked it up and lol'd at the advert being described as 'controversial'. Yeah right. It'd be controversial if they chose NOT to be sexist. There's nothing radical and ground breaking about their decision to equate a (headless) women's body with an object.

I too was thinking about buying a vita to play Liberation. I think if I do buy one it'll be second hand. Sony can bite me.

8. Eric says:

Mild Mild Spoiler:

Finally getting to play it! Tons of fun. Liberation isn’t alone in having an african american getting a strong role in the series. AC3’s Achilles is super interesting thus far and I like him a lot in his teacher role.