Today in BEST NEWS: Rumor has it Mirror’s Edge 2 is in production at DICE, the EA subsidiary that developed the first game. ngMoco‘s Ben Cousins tweeted as much this week, and he is a former executive producer at DICE, so fingers crossed! (GameInformer) … Hide your wallets, friends, because ’tis the season for ridiculous Steam sales… Mass Effect fans, would you rather have a prequel or a sequel next? Casey Hudson wants to know! But if they haven’t decided this yet then I guess it’s going to be a while before any such game comes out. So in the meanwhile, have some FemShep…. Valve‘s Gabe Newell was inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame. He is the 17th to do so, joining folks like Shigeru Miyamoto and John Carmack (Joystiq) …An influential credit rating agency has dropped Sony‘s ranking to “junk” (Eurogamer)… This week a British critic critiqued videogame critiques, and videogame critics were critical of her critiques (The New Statesman) … And apparently some dude played CoD: Blops for 135 hours straight. Dude. (GameInformer) … The Guild Wars 2 team dropped some hints about what’s coming in their next update (VG24/7) … You can play a prototype of Brazen, a new game from Double Fine that was inspired by stop-motion movies, by participating in a game jam hosted by Humble Bundle! (Eurogamer) … And the Mary Sue has called it: from graphic artist Jemma Salume, here is the best response to the “Fake Geek Girl” controversy (The Mary-Sue)
- David Gaider, lead writer of Dragon Age and known cool person, wrote on his Tumblr about the importance of having a diverse writing team. (Tumblr) Here’s a clip:
As it happened, most of the guys went first. Typical stuff— some stuff was good, some stuff needed work, etc. etc. Then one of the female writers went, and she brought up an issue. A big issue. It had to do with a sexual situation in the plot, which she explained could easily be interpreted as a form of rape.
- Game designer Eddy Léja-Six talks about creative game-playing, and how designers can foster creativity among their players (Gamasutra).
- Fans of Peter Molyneux will want to check out this interview, in which he talks about his app Curiosity and his new Kickstarter project, called GODUS (RockPaperShotgun).
- Meet Jane in this awesome PSA from the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media!
- Here, Eurogamer takes a look at Steam Greenlight 3 months after the project, intended to help indie games get support and attention on Steam, first launched on Valve’s popular distribution platform (Eurogamer).
- Did you play the recent game War of the Roses? BBC has just announced plans to launch a new drama based on this actual occurrence in British History, and The Mary Sue has a few reasons why we should be excited about it (The Mary Sue).