- Releases: …What did come out this week? Hawken? Anything else?
- Guild Wars 2‘s Wintersday event, held this Wendesday, pushed the game to the top of the PC downloads. (PC Gamer) Here’s the list of events.
- Naughty Dog studios, the developers of The Last of Us revealed in an interview this week that they were asked to remove Ellie, one of the game’s two main characters, from the front and center of the box art. Naughty Dog refused. (GamesIndustry International) There’s also a great feature piece on VG247 about the game, where Ellie’s voice actor Ashley Johnson spoke out about the industry perception that games with women on the covers don’t sell as well. (VG247)
- Angry Birds Movie coming in 2016. This is not a drill. For the first time the impending apocalypse doesn’t seem so bad. (Kotaku)
- MMO The Secret World is changing its monetization strategy. No more subscriptions, now after buying the game you can play at “free,” “member” and “grand master” packages. (Joystiq)
- The PC release date for DMC: Devil May Cry was announced for January 25 through Europe and North America. The game will be on PS3 and Xbox on January 15. In this reboot, a younger Dante from a different timeline partners with a psychic named Kat, and since the game’s developers, Ninja Theory, pulled off a similar-sounding game called Enslaved: Odyssey to the West a few years ago I think it’s safe to say this game will probably be pretty good. (Digital Spy)
- If you’ve played enough of Far Cry 3 you’ll know that [SPOILER] the game heavily implies the rape of a main character. A male main character. At Kotaku, Patricia Hernandez tries to make sense of the scene, and what the game might be trying, or not trying, to say with it.
- Kotaku also has a series of “Years in Review” for some of the biggest videogame companies, including Nintendo, Square Enix, Sony, and Microsoft.
- Lots of people have written about the relationship between Master Chief and Cortana in Halo 4, and this article,”The Naked Vulnerability of Halo 4” on Tap Repeatedly, is one of my favorites.
- And here’s a timeline of The Last Guardian announcements by Kotaku that only reminded me how badly I want that game. TRUE FACT: I occasionally tweet at @fumito_ueda to send him encouragement like “You have lots of American fans!” and “頑張ってね よ!”
- There were female pilots in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi but they were cut from the final version! Eight-year-old me is crying. (Star Wars Aficionado)
- Beloved comic book writer Gail Simone was rather unceremoniously fired from the Batgirl series this week. We still don’t really know why, but we do know it really sucks, particularly for ladies in comic books. (The Mary Sue)
- Here’s a little awesome to make up for all that: A Swedish toy company with a gender-neutral catalog that features boys playing with dolls, girls with Nerf guns and, perhaps most incredibly of all, boys and girls playing together with the same toys! Sooo basically me and my brothers growing up?