About UsThe Border House is a blog for gamers. It's a blog for those who are feminist, queer, disabled, people of color, transgender, poor, gay, lesbian, and others who belong to marginalized groups, as well as allies. Our goal is to bring thoughtful analysis to gaming with a feminist viewpoint and up-to-date news on games, virtual worlds, and social media.
Discussion PolicyWe have a discussion policy here and we encourage you to read it before you comment.
- salvodaze on Buy Cialis Without Prescription
- Austin on Buy Cialis Without Prescription
- Timmy_Mac614 on Buy Cialis Without Prescription
- Lassarina on Buy Cialis Without Prescription
- Lassarina on Buy Cialis Without Prescription
- Erika on Buy Cialis Without Prescription
- Kimiko on Buy Cialis Without Prescription
Tagsadvertising BioWare casual fridays character design characters Characters Done Right diversity Dragon Age 2 Dragon Age: Origins female characters feminism game design game industry game of the day gender homophobia indie games Kongregate Kotaku LGBT linkspam marketing Mass Effect Mass Effect 2 misogyny Nintendo open thread podcast PS3 race racism rape rape culture sex sexism sexuality transgender transphobia twine violence welcome What Are You Playing Wednesday women World of Warcraft WoW
Tag Archives: diversity
At the end of last month, Madison, Wisconsin was home to the annual science fiction feminist convention known as WisCon. Cialis used for, Gaming has made its way into some of the panels in recent years and the following will be a summary of some of the points made during the Feminism in Gaming 2013 panel.
Panel description - 2012 was a watershed year for discussion of misogyny in gaming, Cialis alternatives, Cialis dangers, in many ways: Anita Sarkeesian's Kickstarter to examine misogyny in gaming, the backlash against it, buy cheap Cialis no rx, Cialis dose, and the counter-backlash; discussion of art direction in D&D Next; attacks on Felicia Day; the launch of the Gaming as Women blog; and other developments. What has happened so far in 2013, generic Cialis. Cialis reviews, Is the amount of backlash more an indication that misogyny is getting worse, or that we're finally getting around to the painful but necessary conversations, Cialis schedule. How much progress have we made, and what still needs to be done, Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Cialis from canada, #FeminismInGaming
There was a wonderful handout available at the panel and it is still online for those that would like to see it: Links to websites and interesting articles from 2012/2013
Some important moments from the last year
- the interviews during promotion for Tomb Raider that referenced wanting to protect Lara and threats of sexual violence against her character
- the backlash against Anita Sarkeesian's Kickstarter but also the counter-backlash that quickly funded the project
- the closing of Glitch, the multiplayer game
- #1ReasonWhy, order Cialis no prescription, Cialis interactions, the Twitter hashtag used by women in the video game industry describing some of the misogyny that they have experienced in their careers
- Dungeons and Dragons Next art direction
Does buying problematic games mean that we end up supporting their further development and also continue to support the stereotypes that the games portray?
-Having limited funds for games also means you limit your choices - if you can only get one or two new games a year, it can become difficult to decide where to spent your money, Cialis recreational. Real brand Cialis online, - One possible way to experience a game that you feel may have problematic elements without first purchasing it is to either rent it or borrow the game from a friend and then make the decision if you want to purchase the game itself.
- These decisions are further complicated when games have things that you love and want to support but still have problematic elements, where can i order Cialis without prescription. Ordering Cialis online, One example mentioned was 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Cialis forum, Cialis canada, mexico, india, Nine Doors. Buy Cialis Without Prescription, It is a puzzle/adventure game that is text heavy which is an under represented type of game, but it had sexist representations of female characters. But the game as a whole contains both of these elements, buy Cialis online cod. After Cialis, - One way to deal with problematic elements in games is to spread the word about those issues. Take screenshots, where to buy Cialis, Buy Cialis online no prescription, post blogs, talk about it on Twitter, Cialis street price, Cialis pictures, write messages on the game forums, tell your friends, get Cialis, No prescription Cialis online, spread the word however you feel comfortable that you are dissatisfied with different aspects of games and gaming culture. Discuss good aspects of games, is Cialis safe, Order Cialis online overnight delivery no prescription, but also discuss the things that upset you.
- Some people dislike financially supporting games in which violence and military action are the only solutions to a problem. There is clearly a call for more creative games or simply more games that go outside the first person shooter genre, Buy Cialis Without Prescription.
- In the end, Cialis trusted pharmacy reviews, Discount Cialis, we all choose where we draw a personal line when it comes to financially supporting developers that make problematic games. There is no ONE WAY that will work for everyone, Cialis description. My Cialis experience,
- One positive aspect of tabletop gaming is being able to create your own worlds and rules/alternate worlds and rules to circumvent problematic rules sets. While this is possible it also puts an additional burden on the players, where can i cheapest Cialis online. Buy Cialis Without Prescription, - One problem with tabletop gaming can also be the players themselves, and not just the game world. Comprar en línea Cialis, comprar Cialis baratos, People bring their own assumptions to the table. One person mentioned a group that would always threaten any female player character with sexual violence at some point during a campaign, Cialis australia, uk, us, usa. Cialis price, coupon, Those types of situations can occur even if those threats are not present in the game's official campaign or storyline.
- Some groups attempt to make sure that everyone is comfortable by first discussing topics that should be kept out of campaigns, fast shipping Cialis. Someone mentioned the use of Safe Words and other tells so players could freely express when a campaign was making them feel uncomfortable, Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Order Cialis from United States pharmacy,
- At times it can be the gaming community, rather than the game that is not inclusive, cheap Cialis no rx. Low dose Cialis, - Audience members mentioned muting players when going online, never speaking up so that people don't hear a woman's voice, japan, craiglist, ebay, overseas, paypal, or only playing with friends when going online. The harassment drives people to cope in a variety of ways.
- Another person mentioned only playing single player games because they found online interactions to be too hostile.
- Yet another person mentioned not finishing Mass Effect 3 Buy Cialis Without Prescription, after having a traumatic experience with a multiplayer group.
- Communities have the potential be more harmful than games themselves in making players feel unwelcome and diminished.
- Alternately, it is wonderful to see when games attempt to bring community together. You can see that in some cooperative games or in things like Guild Wars 2 where the incentive is there to help other players rather than hamper their progress.
- There are a lot of examples of failure in this specific category. This occurs in terms of artbooks, game design, character design, and miniatures, Buy Cialis Without Prescription.
- In the family friendly game of Skylanders there is a character called Stealth Elf that is a dual blade user and she wears what is essentially a bra as a top. Even in games aimed at children there are female characters that wear revealing clothing as their default. This type of character design is pervasive in the industry.
- A comment was made about the character design changes of Samus Aran since the start of the Metroid series. Buy Cialis Without Prescription, The suit has become slimmer over time.
- In terms of art design, let's not forget the failure of the headless torso figure from Dead Island.
- Another art design failure can be seen in the upcoming Dragon's Crown game.
- To avoid some of the problematic female character design, some people mention only playing as male characters in games. We'd all rather see a change in character design rather than players feeling forced to do this to avoid problematic art direction.
- BioWare was praised specifically for their art direction with the female Commander Shepard when compared to the male Shepard, Buy Cialis Without Prescription.
Games/things we look forward to in the future (let's be hopeful for a moment)
- Remember Me
- The next Dragon Age
- Roll 20 : a KickStarter project that focuses on bringing tabletop rollplaying online
- Minecraft mod ScriptCraft
- Odyssey: The Complete Game Master’s Guide to Campaign Management - a tabletop game guide done by the Gnome Stew blog that has a cover showing a woman of color as a game master.
Other points made during the panel
- The solution cannot simply be "Then go make your own games!" when people point out issues in the current batch of games. Yes, it is wonderful that more toolsets are available for general use, but putting the burden solely on the players is unjust. Independent games are wonderful and are part of the solution, but they are not the whole solution to the problems facing the industry. Buy Cialis Without Prescription, - As always, there was a call for more diversity in characters and character creation options. Why must the default always be straight, white, and male.
- There is needs to be more of a focus on the discussion of games and the industry. Let's keep reading good stories, listening to good podcasts, checking out reviews that go beyond "was it fun?" and spread the word about these things.
- We WANT to give the industry our money. Give us something we WANT to support, Buy Cialis Without Prescription.
One final point!
- Don't let jerks strip us of the gamer title. There have always been, and always will be a diverse group of people that play video games and tabletop games. Let us not let them fool us or others that we don't exist because we have ALWAYS been here. Don't surrender that title over to them because it is not, nor was it ever, only their property. Be gamers and be feminists. They are not mutually exclusive.
Similar posts: Buy Bactroban Without Prescription. Betnovate For Sale. Bactrim For Sale. Spiriva For Sale. Tindamax For Sale. Alesse (Ovral L) over the counter. Reglan photos. Kjøpe Tetracycline på nett, köpa Tetracycline online. What is Temovate Cream. Ventolin brand name.
Trackbacks from: Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Cialis schedule. Diclofenac dose. Diflucan steet value. Where can i buy cheapest Premarin online. Aldactone for sale.
If the game design of 2009's Velvet Assassin were half as interesting as its history, I might be able to bring myself to play beyond the first mission. Velvet Assassin is loosely based on the story of Violette Szabo, Low dose Soma, a Parisian-born, British-educated woman who enlisted in the elite Special Operations Executive after her husband died in the Second World War. Although the game takes substantial liberties with the facts of Szabo's life, is Soma addictive, the premise alone makes for a compelling game pitch: still grieving the loss of her husband, Soma natural, Violette devotes herself to sabotage and subterfuge behind enemy lines.
Velvet Assassin wastes this rich history on a clunky, tired game, Soma used for. The Metacritic average for the game settled at a failing grade: fifty-six out of one hundred. But, having played and enjoyed some poorly-reviewed games, I decided to take my chances, Soma For Sale. Soma maximum dosage, By the end of the first full mission, I was ready to watch the rest of the game on YouTube. Suffice it to say that Velvet Assassin is a frustrating and thoroughly uninteresting experience, online buying Soma hcl.
But this game's story deserves “AAA” treatment. Soma no prescription, Consider all that it has to offer from a back-of-the-box perspective: a compelling female character with strong motivations, a well-known historical setting (World War II), and a delicious mixture of stealth, Soma results, deception and demolition. Soma For Sale, Despite this strong premise, Velvet Assassin didn't get picked up by Electronic Arts or Activision or Ubisoft; it was produced by a team of “about 35 people” (according to a developer interview) and published by Southpeak Interactive. Where can i cheapest Soma online, With those financial limitations in mind, it's a miracle that Velvet Assassin was playable, even if it turned out to be a mediocre game, Soma from mexico.
The conversation surrounding female lead protagonists in games is louder than ever. Soma over the counter, When Grand Theft Auto V was announced, podcasters and journalists speculated about the possibility (and the viability) of a female protagonist in a Rockstar game. Could she kill, buy Soma from canada. Could she fit in a GTA story, Soma For Sale. The inclusion of playable female characters in Gears of War 3 left fans asking if the Gears franchise would ever have a female character in the starring role. Soma treatment, And Mitch Dyer at IGN, presumably prompted by the portrayal of Aveline de Grandpré in Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, asked Ubisoft if there would ever be a female protagonist in a main entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise, Soma pics.
It is astonishing that, Rx free Soma, in 2013, the inclusion of female leads in mainstream video game releases is still a faraway dream. Rare games like Tomb Raider and Bayonetta bet big on their female leads, buy Soma without a prescription, but the discussion surrounding them rarely moves beyond the (de)sexualization of their protagonists. Soma For Sale, Meanwhile, Grand Theft Auto V will have three protagonists, all of them men. Canada, mexico, india, Adding to the trend, Chris Perna from Epic said that it would be “tough to justify” having a female lead in a Gears game given sales expectations. And Ashraf Ismail from Ubisoft told IGN that, where can i order Soma without prescription, when designing the lead character for the upcoming Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Soma cost, his team “actually never thought, 'could this be a woman?'”
We're not just lagging behind as a narrative medium, we're stubbornly stagnant and we're risking complete cultural irrelevance as a result, Soma For Sale. Soma trusted pharmacy reviews, Imagine the absurdity of a novelist saying that it would be “tough to justify” telling a story through the eyes of a female character. And where would film be as a medium if producers never even considered casting female leads. Alien was made in 1979 and went on to earn back ten times its budget at the box office, Soma no rx. But, Generic Soma, in 2013, video game developers are still trotting out the same tired excuses for failing to change the representational landscape of the medium. Soma For Sale, With respect to games set in historical contexts, we can't rely on the excuse that women did not participate meaningfully in major world events. When he was questioned about Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Soma price, coupon, Ashraf Ismail relayed that, Buy cheap Soma no rx, while “there were a few famous women pirates,” the phenomenon “wasn't common” and they “didn't want that element to be a detail people got stuck in.” But good historical fiction is precisely about highlighting the uncommon, the exceptional and the rare, Soma blogs. If a team of thirty-five people can locate and research Violette Szabo for Velvet Assassin, Doses Soma work, then surely the veritable army of developers at Ubisoft can find an interesting female pirate for their game (someone like Anne Bonny or, if they could sensitively handle a nuanced gender presentation, someone like Mary Read), Soma interactions.
It's also becoming increasingly harder to believe that a publisher like Epic Games could not market a successful game with a female star, Soma For Sale. Gears of War 3 sold over three million copies in its first week, purchase Soma. And, Soma use, according to VGChartz, the franchise has shipped over seventeen million units to date. Gears is one of the most popular and beloved series of games for an entire generation of players, Soma long term. Presuming that the quality of the Gears games remains constant, Soma used for, does Epic really believe that there are players out there who would refuse to buy the next entry in the series if a bulky, rectangular woman were on the front of the box instead of a bulky, rectangular man, Soma recreational. Soma For Sale, And, if so, are those players worth holding onto. If anyone is poised to forge new ground for the mainstream of our medium in a forceful and highly visible way, Online Soma without a prescription, it's a powerhouse studio like Epic.
But as long as large publishers continue to craft characters based on the whims of the most narrow-minded and reactionary portion of their playerbase, the medium at large is going nowhere, get Soma. The best we can hope for, Soma natural, under the current way of doing business, is a big-budget game like Spec Ops: The Line which at least attempts to approach the subject of war in a nuanced way. If mainstream developers finally manage, buy Soma online no prescription, after all these years, Soma samples, to produce the perfect masculine war story, what will be left for them to create. What large swaths of human history and experience are being left behind, Soma For Sale.
I have my own faraway dream for the portrayal of women in video games, Soma images. If mainstream games can start to explore some new mechanical territory (something besides object collision which, as Ian Bogost pointed out to me on a panel we were on together last year, is the dominant mechanic of virtually all mainstream games), then they might be able to tell stories about spheres of human life that aren't wartime violence. Indie game developers have been thriving in this experimental space with incredibly scarce resources.
But imagine what would happen if mainstream developers started to explore new frontiers beyond bullets hitting people. In this hypothetical new era of game development, there would be even more female historical figures available for developers to incorporate into their lavish fictions. There would be more games like L.A. Noire, in which conversations can be just as suspenseful as shootouts, Soma For Sale. The experiences of women and other underrepresented groups of people could finally be incorporated into the medium in a meaningful way. We could produce serious cultural texts that explore the diversity of human experience, instead of rehashing Apocalypse Now, ad infinitum.
But, for now, I would settle for a lady pirate in Assassin's Creed and a female Gear on the front of the box. It's time for mainstream developers to stop making excuses and start having some aspirations. We pride ourselves on being a young but fast-moving medium. Let's kick it into high gear and give Lara Croft some company in the world of leading ladies.
Similar posts: Buy Lasix Without Prescription. Buy Tetracycline Without Prescription. Buy Prozac Without Prescription. Buy Acomplia Without Prescription. Buy Amoxicillin Without Prescription. Soma reviews. Where can i order Celebrex without prescription. Where can i order Estrace Vaginal Cream without prescription. My Viagra experience. Ultram over the counter.
Trackbacks from: Soma For Sale. Soma For Sale. Soma For Sale. Soma For Sale. Soma For Sale. Online buying Soma. Synthroid images. Amoxicillin treatment. Zovirax street price. Colchicine alternatives.
I’ve been playing a lot of Mario Kart 7 on the 3DS recently, and while I think it’s a great game, the character choice is extremely frustrating. Back in 1992, the original Super Mario Kart on the SNES featured eight … Continue reading
[caption id="attachment_6745" align="aligncenter" width="180" caption="Fang from Final Fantasy XIII"][/caption] Sorry for the delay everyone! But this episode, Denis Farr and I have a talk about Characters Done Right, and look further into how to succeed at creating diversity-aware characters. … Continue reading
[caption id="attachment_5987" align="alignleft" width="280" caption="Logo from Catherine. It shows an image of a female with Catherine as the left half of the woman in the image and Katherine as the right half."][/caption] Catherine is a new story driven, puzzle based … Continue reading
On the final day of the San Diego Comic Con, I sat in a hotel lobby completely exhausted, but still unable to stop grinning as I watched two little girls carry on a protracted and energetic pretend battle with a … Continue reading
N.B. Many thanks to Latoya Peterson for allowing me to ask her a few questions, and my friend Janathan for reading and giving me feedback. I do not claim to have these experiences, but it is something I rarely see … Continue reading
[caption id="attachment_5545" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="A skyhook. ( A large gunmetal hook whose chains disappear into space; Image – Trafford Park Sculpture in Manchester, a monument to one of the first industrial parks in the world. Via Flickr/Tony Worrall )"][/caption] It … Continue reading