About UsThe Border House is a blog for gamers. It's a blog for those who are feminist, queer, disabled, people of color, transgender, poor, gay, lesbian, and others who belong to marginalized groups, as well as allies. Our goal is to bring thoughtful analysis to gaming with a feminist viewpoint and up-to-date news on games, virtual worlds, and social media.
Discussion PolicyWe have a discussion policy here and we encourage you to read it before you comment.
- Lassarina on Buy Lexapro Without Prescription
- Lassarina on Buy Lexapro Without Prescription
- Erika on Buy Lexapro Without Prescription
- Kimiko on Buy Lexapro Without Prescription
- Llamaentity on Buy Lexapro Without Prescription
- Timmy_Mac614 on Buy Lexapro Without Prescription
- Timmy_Mac614 on Buy Lexapro Without Prescription
Tagsadvertising BioWare casual fridays character design characters Characters Done Right diversity Dragon Age 2 Dragon Age: Origins female characters feminism game design game industry game of the day gender homophobia indie games Kongregate Kotaku LGBT linkspam marketing Mass Effect Mass Effect 2 misogyny Nintendo open thread podcast PS3 race racism rape rape culture sex sexism sexuality transgender transphobia twine violence welcome What Are You Playing Wednesday women World of Warcraft WoW
Tag Archives: game design
At the end of last month, Madison, Wisconsin was home to the annual science fiction feminist convention known as WisCon. Cialis used for, Gaming has made its way into some of the panels in recent years and the following will be a summary of some of the points made during the Feminism in Gaming 2013 panel.
Panel description - 2012 was a watershed year for discussion of misogyny in gaming, Cialis alternatives, Cialis dangers, in many ways: Anita Sarkeesian's Kickstarter to examine misogyny in gaming, the backlash against it, buy cheap Cialis no rx, Cialis dose, and the counter-backlash; discussion of art direction in D&D Next; attacks on Felicia Day; the launch of the Gaming as Women blog; and other developments. What has happened so far in 2013, generic Cialis. Cialis reviews, Is the amount of backlash more an indication that misogyny is getting worse, or that we're finally getting around to the painful but necessary conversations, Cialis schedule. How much progress have we made, and what still needs to be done, Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Cialis from canada, #FeminismInGaming
There was a wonderful handout available at the panel and it is still online for those that would like to see it: Links to websites and interesting articles from 2012/2013
Some important moments from the last year
- the interviews during promotion for Tomb Raider that referenced wanting to protect Lara and threats of sexual violence against her character
- the backlash against Anita Sarkeesian's Kickstarter but also the counter-backlash that quickly funded the project
- the closing of Glitch, the multiplayer game
- #1ReasonWhy, order Cialis no prescription, Cialis interactions, the Twitter hashtag used by women in the video game industry describing some of the misogyny that they have experienced in their careers
- Dungeons and Dragons Next art direction
Does buying problematic games mean that we end up supporting their further development and also continue to support the stereotypes that the games portray?
-Having limited funds for games also means you limit your choices - if you can only get one or two new games a year, it can become difficult to decide where to spent your money, Cialis recreational. Real brand Cialis online, - One possible way to experience a game that you feel may have problematic elements without first purchasing it is to either rent it or borrow the game from a friend and then make the decision if you want to purchase the game itself.
- These decisions are further complicated when games have things that you love and want to support but still have problematic elements, where can i order Cialis without prescription. Ordering Cialis online, One example mentioned was 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Cialis forum, Cialis canada, mexico, india, Nine Doors. Buy Cialis Without Prescription, It is a puzzle/adventure game that is text heavy which is an under represented type of game, but it had sexist representations of female characters. But the game as a whole contains both of these elements, buy Cialis online cod. After Cialis, - One way to deal with problematic elements in games is to spread the word about those issues. Take screenshots, where to buy Cialis, Buy Cialis online no prescription, post blogs, talk about it on Twitter, Cialis street price, Cialis pictures, write messages on the game forums, tell your friends, get Cialis, No prescription Cialis online, spread the word however you feel comfortable that you are dissatisfied with different aspects of games and gaming culture. Discuss good aspects of games, is Cialis safe, Order Cialis online overnight delivery no prescription, but also discuss the things that upset you.
- Some people dislike financially supporting games in which violence and military action are the only solutions to a problem. There is clearly a call for more creative games or simply more games that go outside the first person shooter genre, Buy Cialis Without Prescription.
- In the end, Cialis trusted pharmacy reviews, Discount Cialis, we all choose where we draw a personal line when it comes to financially supporting developers that make problematic games. There is no ONE WAY that will work for everyone, Cialis description. My Cialis experience,
- One positive aspect of tabletop gaming is being able to create your own worlds and rules/alternate worlds and rules to circumvent problematic rules sets. While this is possible it also puts an additional burden on the players, where can i cheapest Cialis online. Buy Cialis Without Prescription, - One problem with tabletop gaming can also be the players themselves, and not just the game world. Comprar en línea Cialis, comprar Cialis baratos, People bring their own assumptions to the table. One person mentioned a group that would always threaten any female player character with sexual violence at some point during a campaign, Cialis australia, uk, us, usa. Cialis price, coupon, Those types of situations can occur even if those threats are not present in the game's official campaign or storyline.
- Some groups attempt to make sure that everyone is comfortable by first discussing topics that should be kept out of campaigns, fast shipping Cialis. Someone mentioned the use of Safe Words and other tells so players could freely express when a campaign was making them feel uncomfortable, Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Order Cialis from United States pharmacy,
- At times it can be the gaming community, rather than the game that is not inclusive, cheap Cialis no rx. Low dose Cialis, - Audience members mentioned muting players when going online, never speaking up so that people don't hear a woman's voice, japan, craiglist, ebay, overseas, paypal, or only playing with friends when going online. The harassment drives people to cope in a variety of ways.
- Another person mentioned only playing single player games because they found online interactions to be too hostile.
- Yet another person mentioned not finishing Mass Effect 3 Buy Cialis Without Prescription, after having a traumatic experience with a multiplayer group.
- Communities have the potential be more harmful than games themselves in making players feel unwelcome and diminished.
- Alternately, it is wonderful to see when games attempt to bring community together. You can see that in some cooperative games or in things like Guild Wars 2 where the incentive is there to help other players rather than hamper their progress.
- There are a lot of examples of failure in this specific category. This occurs in terms of artbooks, game design, character design, and miniatures, Buy Cialis Without Prescription.
- In the family friendly game of Skylanders there is a character called Stealth Elf that is a dual blade user and she wears what is essentially a bra as a top. Even in games aimed at children there are female characters that wear revealing clothing as their default. This type of character design is pervasive in the industry.
- A comment was made about the character design changes of Samus Aran since the start of the Metroid series. Buy Cialis Without Prescription, The suit has become slimmer over time.
- In terms of art design, let's not forget the failure of the headless torso figure from Dead Island.
- Another art design failure can be seen in the upcoming Dragon's Crown game.
- To avoid some of the problematic female character design, some people mention only playing as male characters in games. We'd all rather see a change in character design rather than players feeling forced to do this to avoid problematic art direction.
- BioWare was praised specifically for their art direction with the female Commander Shepard when compared to the male Shepard, Buy Cialis Without Prescription.
Games/things we look forward to in the future (let's be hopeful for a moment)
- Remember Me
- The next Dragon Age
- Roll 20 : a KickStarter project that focuses on bringing tabletop rollplaying online
- Minecraft mod ScriptCraft
- Odyssey: The Complete Game Master’s Guide to Campaign Management - a tabletop game guide done by the Gnome Stew blog that has a cover showing a woman of color as a game master.
Other points made during the panel
- The solution cannot simply be "Then go make your own games!" when people point out issues in the current batch of games. Yes, it is wonderful that more toolsets are available for general use, but putting the burden solely on the players is unjust. Independent games are wonderful and are part of the solution, but they are not the whole solution to the problems facing the industry. Buy Cialis Without Prescription, - As always, there was a call for more diversity in characters and character creation options. Why must the default always be straight, white, and male.
- There is needs to be more of a focus on the discussion of games and the industry. Let's keep reading good stories, listening to good podcasts, checking out reviews that go beyond "was it fun?" and spread the word about these things.
- We WANT to give the industry our money. Give us something we WANT to support, Buy Cialis Without Prescription.
One final point!
- Don't let jerks strip us of the gamer title. There have always been, and always will be a diverse group of people that play video games and tabletop games. Let us not let them fool us or others that we don't exist because we have ALWAYS been here. Don't surrender that title over to them because it is not, nor was it ever, only their property. Be gamers and be feminists. They are not mutually exclusive.
Similar posts: Buy Bactroban Without Prescription. Betnovate For Sale. Bactrim For Sale. Spiriva For Sale. Tindamax For Sale. Alesse (Ovral L) over the counter. Reglan photos. Kjøpe Tetracycline på nett, köpa Tetracycline online. What is Temovate Cream. Ventolin brand name.
Trackbacks from: Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Buy Cialis Without Prescription. Cialis schedule. Diclofenac dose. Diflucan steet value. Where can i buy cheapest Premarin online. Aldactone for sale.
[caption id="attachment_9596" align="aligncenter" width="540"] A screenshot of Mattie Brice’s Mainichi displaying an overhead view of several rooms in an adorable apartment, and a cute stylised character with dark skin and dark hair wearing a white and purple outfit.[/caption] This will … Continue reading
[caption id="attachment_8597" align="aligncenter" width="540" caption="World of Warcraft branded Monopoly set."][/caption] The Shepard/My avatar discussion from WisCon was one of several gaming related panels this year. A section titled “Gender and Class in Gaming” had the following description: This panel uses … Continue reading
Though rare, same sex romance options are not new to video games. We have seen them Jade Empire, The Sims, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and the Dragon Age series. But lately, BioWare has had some shining moments in this … Continue reading
[caption id="attachment_6638" align="aligncenter" width="180" caption="A rose, logo for Choice of Romance (my favorite!)"][/caption] A first of hopefully many to come, this is TBH Podcast’s answer to the community’s request for experts in the industry to speak on diversity issues. … Continue reading
We have written about women’s armor in video games several times. Too often we see characters in plate mail bikinis and high heels. But a Tumblr titled Women Fighters in Reasonable Armor has me looking for some positive examples of … Continue reading
[caption id=”attachment_5012″ align=”aligncenter” width=”338″ caption=”Cover for Duke Nukem Forever. Shows a burly, blond man leaning back holding a large golden gun in his hand. Near his crotch there is a woman's hand but the woman is not pictured. Behind … Continue reading